Posted by: Rick Noll on December 6th, 2005
(Franz Ferdinand – 40ft)
In fact my hairstyle, length and color have been the butt of many jokes with the 107.7 end crew (ok, so there are a few of you out there who also think… poor ‘Rick and that hair…’). They have even speculated on how Bigfoot might or might not like it. Oh well…
I don’t know how many times the radio station asked me to come down and talk on the air with them about the current affairs of Bigfoot, but it was quite a few till they changed their schedule. I always went down there with the hope that it wouldn’t turn into the daily laugh. They went from afternoons to early morning and my day job prevented me from coming down as often.
Here are some of the highlights from the shows, at least the ones I can remember (I think they taped each of them actually):
1. DJ No Name took the opening song and narration from one of the Bigfoot documentaries I was in and uses that now to introduce me as the next guest on the show.
2. A song contest had me pitted against a very beautiful woman, the lead vocals and guitar from Visqueen, Rachel Flotard. I got distracted and lost of course. When she was calling in to the show, asking for parking directions, I overheard her ask Timberlake who she was going to compete against. When he said Bigfoot Hunter Richard Noll, with pride I might add… she asked “Who the F$@! is that?” I guess rock stars can be a little temperamental; probably had problems with traffic that morning.
3. Iggy Pop was a guest and he was asked if he believed in Bigfoot… Nope.
4. Radio listeners found out that Bigfoot, if political, was probably a Green Party member.
5. The radio station gave away a monster apartment for a year and before the winning tenant moved in they wanted me to make sure there were no real monsters in it. I guess most people think of Bigfoot as a monster. I came down with all the equipment I usually take out in the bush with me; camera trap, still camera, binoculars, night vision, GPS, etc. I got to talk about some of the equipment I use and that was ok but I never did check out that apartment.
6. Playing Bigfoot calls over the radio that I use to lure in the animals on expeditions. I played the Ohio, Tahoe, Puyallup screams then a synthesizer and finally some human baby cries. I told them that we had to be careful with these calls and that some of them were proprietary in that they shouldn’t be used indiscriminately for fear of the loss of a good research site. One must be ready to capture Bigfoot on film if it happens to show up after using these. If played over the radio, it could have had small outlying towns listening and then having to evacuate from being overrun by the foot. I think this is when I started to joke back at them.
7. On another visit Ms. Gay Tacoma gave me some unique glitter she/he called man-gina dust. Said I should use it in place of the pheromone chips I regularly use to lure in Bigfoot with. She said it was foolproof and would attract even strongest of the brutes.
8. I exchanged gifts with DJ No Name and Timberlake. No Name got a very nice cast of a Bigfoot foot, which sat at the station for quite some time and was seen by untold countless numbers of famous rock stars. Timberlake got a wall plaque of simulated Bigfoot doo doo. It had a ‘would-be’ Bigfoot hunter finger and man-gina dust in it. The talk that time revolved around scat from Bigfoot. Ms. Gay Tacoma, of course piped in about his/her miniature marshmallows. I didn’t get it.
9. The show moving to the afternoons put another gorgeous woman at No Names side, co-host Jennifer White… what a knock out! She doesn’t like my hair either though. Brought them gifts from a Canadian trip. Timberlake got Bigfoot Nuts, Jen got Candy Bigfoot droppings and I don’t remember what No Name got… though he has received the most from me in our acquaintance, what with the smoking baby doll from the very first show.
10. And then there was my birthday party…
(Nine Inch Nails – Right Where It Belongs)
Rick Noll – has written 62 posts on this site.