Posted by: Craig Woolheater on March 17th, 2013
President and Founder of the BFRO
Matt Moneymaker was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. He developed an interest in the bigfoot legend at the age of 11 after watching the famous 1970’s documentaries on the subject.
While attending UCLA in the 1980’s he began corresponding with other bigfoot researchers in the United States and Canada. His first track discovery was in the mountains of Ventura County, California in 1987.
In the early 1990’s he moved to eastern Ohio where many sightings and encounters had been reporter by farmers during the previous 10 years. His first close encounter with a bigfoot occurred during an overnight stakeout in a swampy wildlife refuge southeast of Kent, Ohio in 1994.
In 1995 he connected with other bigfoot researchers on the nascent World Wide Web and formed the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization. In 1996 he launched the web site for the BFRO and began investigating and publishing eyewitness reports on the Internet.
He organized the first big expedition for the group in 2000 in Skookum Meadows, Washington. For the next few years he co-produced a few television projects about the bigfoot subject before he began organizing field expeditions in different parts of the country, which he still does today.
Matt Moneymaker is well known among bigfoot researchers and is credited with being…
– … the first person who introduced sound blasting and howling as a technique for locating bigfoots.
– … the first person who proposed and argued the connection between bigfoot sightings and deer kill stashes, after being shown evidence by Mennonite Farmers in Ohio.
– … the first person to record the long moaning howl of a big male sasquatch — the “Ohio Howl.”
– … the first to formally describe the knock sounds made by bigfoots in 1992, at a scientific conference at Rutgers University for the International Society of Cryptozoology.
– … the first person to organize big expeditions to gather observations and evidence in various parts of North America.
– … the first person to debunk the “Georgia Bigfoot Body” hoax in the summer of 2008.
Co-founder of Cryptomundo in 2005. I have appeared in or contributed to the following TV programs, documentaries and films: OLN's Mysterious Encounters: "Caddo Critter", Southern Fried Bigfoot, Travel Channel's Weird Travels: "Bigfoot", History Channel's MonsterQuest: "Swamp Stalker", The Wild Man of the Navidad, Destination America's Monsters and Mysteries in America: Texas Terror - Lake Worth Monster, Animal Planet's Finding Bigfoot: Return to Boggy Creek and Beast of the Bayou.